7 Nominees For Next American Garden Award
A dahlia, a dianthus, an ornamental pepper, a scaevola, a SunPatiens variety and two petunias are among the 2011 nominees.
May 10, 2011
After almost 11,000 consumers voted in the 2010 American Garden Award contest, the program is back for 2011.
There are now 24 participating public gardens displaying seven stunning new varieties produced from both seed and vegetative cuttings for the gardening public to choose as their favorite. All 24 gardens can be viewed on the AGA website. The gardens will wait until their local safe-planting date to install the entries and make them available for viewing by garden visitors, who can then vote on their favorite. There are three ways to vote:
1) By texting a given code to a polling number
2) By going to www.americangardenaward.com and clicking on the voting button
3) By using postage-paid voting postcards located at most gardens.
The seven entries are:
- Dahlia 'Dahlinova Hypnotica Lavender' from Fides
- Dianthus Kahori from Fides
- Ornamental Pepper 'Uchu' from American Takii
- Petunia 'Easy Wave Neon Rose' from PanAmerican Seed
- Petunia milliflora 'Picobella Rose Star' from Syngenta Flowers
- Scaevola 'Surdiva Light Blue' from Suntory Flowers
- 'SunPatiens Variegated Spreading White' from Sakata
Voting opens the morning of May 13 and runs until August 31. Winners are announced in September. Follow American Garden Award on Twitter and Facebook to keep up with the voting results.