2012 Independent Plant Breeders Conference Offers Lectures, Tours And More
The educational event, which features top breeders, will take place Nov. 1-4 in Portland, Ore.
October 16, 2012
The 2012 Independent Plant Breeders Conference is set to take place Nov. 1-4 in Portland, Ore. This semi-annual educational program for plant breeders includes full days of lectures, a day of local plant breeding and display venues tours and an opportunity to network with some of today’s most influential plant breeders and new product developers.
Plant Breeders with stories of how to succeed and lessons on what not to do:
- Bill Radler, the breeder of the Knock Out Rose
- Dan Heims of Terra Nova Nurseries
- Sean Hogan of Cistus Nursery
- Kelly Norris of Rainbow Iris
- Janet Egger of Terra Nova Nurseries
- Judith Freeman, owner of The Lily Gardens
- Dr. Dave Clark of the University of Florida
- Dr. Matt Taylor of Longwood Gardens
- Michael Dobres, managing director of NovaFlora
- Dr. Ryan Contreras, plant breeding and genetics at Oregon State University
- Mike Uchneat, breeder and partner at Garden Genetics
- Dr. Kim Hummer, Supervisory Research Horticulturist for the USDA in Corvallis, Ore.
- Dr. Steve Buchmann, Melittologist, Pollinator Partnership and the University of Arizona will hold a special presentation on pollinator options, issues and choices from.
Some of the other informational sessions include:
How new breeding is viewed from the front lines of our industry where the consumer and the plant meet: William McClenathan, Host of the Garden Time television series and partner at Viscaya Garden & Nursery, and Tom Foley of Ball Ornamentals will speak. Also hear from a panel of marketing experts from across the industry about information on what they are looking for.
Trialing and protecting your genetics, as well as making sure the legalities are in order: Sheree Rybak Ph.D., Klarquist Sparkman LLP, Sam Rizzi, Royalty Administration International, and Rick Schoellhorn of Proven Winners will speak. A special panel of personnel from tissue culture laboratories will discuss how they can help a plant breeder with services and support. The panel includes Harini Korlipara, Terra Nova Nurseries, Randy Strode, Agristarts and Steve McCullough, Mountain Shadow Nursery.
Marketing new releases: Topics focus on finding a partner in the industry, what to expect and how to be realistic. Kevin Hurd, Proven Winners, Kip McConnell, Plant Development Services Inc., Chuck Pavlich, Terra Nova Nurseries and many other speakers and panelists will present.
Register at ProvenWinners.com/2012-IPBC