2012 Field Trials: Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Extension Center
How did new introductions fare in the heat of Texas? Here are the trials results from Texas A&M University.
November 8, 2012
Trials manager: Brent Pemberton
Location: Overton, Texas
Planting Dates: Trials were planted in the field for crops like trailing petunias starting in late April and for crops like vinca through late May. About 450 entries were trialed of over 40 species.
Weather conditions: Conditions were cool and dry until mid-May. Late May and early June were warm with seasonal rain. July and August were just normally hot with occasional rain in contrast to the torrid temperatures of summer 2011. There was a hot and dry period in late June and again in early August, but “cooler” temperatures returned by late August and early September. Weather details can be found at http://etweather.tamu.edu/datatable/.
Best of Show:
1. Petunia ‘Surfinia Patio Indigo’ (Suntory) – Also a People’s Picks Winner for Field Day 2012 (see http://flowers.tamu.edu/peoples-picks/ for full results of the People’s Picks)
Top 10 Cultivars:
1. Vinca ‘Cora Red’ (Syngenta Flowers)
2. Ornamental Pepper ‘Cubana Red’ (Takii)
3. Geranium Sarita series in shade (Red Fox by Dummen)
4. Begonia ‘Baby Wing White Bronze Leaf’ in sun and shade (Pan American)
5. Begonia Big (Benary) and Whopper (Ball) series in sun and shade
6. Impatiens ‘Dazzler Salmon Splash’ and ‘Dazzler Salmon Improved’ (Pan American)
7. Impatiens ‘Center Stage’ (Burpee Home Garden)
8. Lobularia Stream series (Danziger) and Princess series (Proven Winners)
9. Mecardonia ‘Magic Carpet Yellow’ (Sakata)
10. Evolvulus ‘Blue My Mind’ (Proven Winners)