Now in its seventh year, AIB is a national campaign and contest that promotes enhancing communities through beautification. In the friendly competition, communities are matched by population and evaluated on efforts related to floral displays, urban forestry, landscaped areas, turf and groundcover, tidiness, environmental awareness, heritage conservation and community involvement.
Event Highlights At A Glance
The AIB symposium will begin Thursday evening, Oct. 2, with an opening reception and the presentation of sponsored criteria awards for the communities that performed the best in the eight judging criteria. Population category awards will be presented at the awards banquet on Saturday. Both Friday and Saturday will feature educational seminars and area tours, which mirror what AIB’s judges are looking for when they visit a community.
Planned seminars include:
- Growing Greener Communities
- You Want To Put What, Where?
- Selecting Plants For Site-Specific Color
- Urban Forestry–More Than Just An Evaluation Criterion
- Clean, Green And Beautiful
- Getting Master Gardeners Involved In Your Community Improvement Program
- Recognizing Your City’s Heritage Potential
- Environmentally Beneficial Landscaping
- Go Ahead–Copy Us! Entrants and judges share successful practices
- Fundraising–Building A Solid Foundation
- How Gardens Change The Face Of Neighborhoods
- Developing Backyard Conservation Programs
- Where Do New Plants Come From And Will They Work For Me?
- Saturday afternoon tour choices include Franklin Park Conservatory, Historic German Village, community and public gardens and green building projects. www.americainbloom.org.
AIB Awards Symposium Sponsors To Date
- American Horticultural Society
- Ball Horticultural Co.
- Experience Columbus
- Gardens Alive!
- Hyatt On Capitol Square Columbus
- Meister Media Worldwide
- Project Evergreen
- J. Frank Schmidt & Son Co.
- Anthony Tesselaar Plants