Flores El Capiro S.A., a greenhouse grower in Colombia, took home the top prize this week from the International Association of Horticultural Producers (AIPH) when it was named International Grower of the Year 2017 during a dinner at IPM Essen in Germany.
The Gold Rose winner is one of the largest chrysanthemum growers and container exporters in the world. Delivering flowers to customers using pioneering sea freight and innovative packaging, its container-packed cut flowers reach the most distant markets, including Australia, with a transit time that exceeds 30 days. Capiro’s planted area covers 75 hectares, with plans to reach 100 hectares while increasing productivity to meet customer demand.
The awards jury praised the company for “not only being a good example for the Colombian ornamental industry, but with its sea freight program, a worldwide example.”
Celebrating the world’s best in ornamental horticultural production, the awards, sponsored by Headline Partner Royal Flora Holland, took place on Tuesday, Jan. 24 at the Colosseum Theatre in Essen, Germany during the week of IPM Essen.
The winners of each category were:
• Gold: Flores El Capiro S.A., Colombia
• Silver: Van den Berg RoseS, The Netherlands
• Bronze: LLC TK-Podosinki, Russia
• Gold: Graff Kristensen A/S, Denmark
• Silver: Beijing Nabobay Horticulture Co. Ltd., China
Finished Plants and Trees
• Gold: Gui Zhou Miaofu Urban Horticulture Co. Ltd., China
• Silver: The Bransford Webbs Plant Co., United Kingdom
• Bronze: Boomkwekerij Ebben B.V., The Netherlands
• Honorary Award: Boterdaele Erik bvba, Belgium
“I would like to offer my sincere congratulations to Flores El Capiro and all our winners after what has been a fabulous awards ceremony and celebration of the very best in our industry,” says Bernard Oosterom, AIPH President. “The ornamental horticulture industry can be proud of the many amazing businesses that it contains which are world leaders in innovation, sustainability, and technological development.”