The members of the Society of American Florists (SAF) recently elected nine of their peers to positions on SAF’s Retailers, Wholesalers, and Growers Councils.
The new council members will begin their terms at the close of SAF Maui 2016, the association’s 132nd Annual Convention, which takes place Sept. 21-24, at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua in Maui. Their first meetings will be in March 2017.
One thrust of the twice-yearly segment council meetings is to discuss trends and challenges and make recommendations for how SAF can develop programs and services to meet the needs of its members.
“These segment council members play an important role by helping SAF keep its finger on the pulse of what is happening at the grower, wholesale, and retail level across the country,” says SAF President Martin Meskers, AAF, of Oregon Flowers, Inc., in Aurora, OR.
Each segment council member is appointed to one of SAF’s joint councils — Government Relations, Consumer, or Member Services — which also meet twice-yearly immediately following the segment council meeting to provide more specific direction in their respective areas.
The newly-elected SAF Council members are as follows:
• Kate Delaney, Matlack Florist, Inc., West Chester, PA
• Cheryl Denham, Arizona Family Florist, Phoenix, AZ
• Jeremy Lohman, Scott’s House of Flowers Inc., Lawton, OK
• David Armellini, Armellini Express Lines, Palm City, FL
• Joost Bongaerts, Florabundance, Inc., Carpinteria, CA
• Tom Figueroa, Nordlie, Inc., Warren, MI
• Scott Isensee, Frank Adams Wholesale Florist, Portland, OR
• Tom Wheeler, Bell Nursery, Elkridge, MD
• Mark Wilson, Syngenta Flowers, Gilroy, CA
Results of the SAF board elections, which take place during the annual convention and via absentee ballot, will be announced on Sept. 24 at the association’s Keynote Breakfast and Business Session during SAF Maui 2016.