The Fred C. Gloeckner Foundation, Inc. held its annual meeting on May 30, 2015, electing a new president, vice president and one new board member.
Newly elected officers, directors and board members are:
- Former vice president of the foundation, Dr. Richard Craig was elected president and chair of the research committee. Craig, a professor emeritus of plant breeding and the J. Franklin Styer Professor Emeritus of horticultural botany at Pennsylvania State University, is considered a pioneer breeder in the industry. In 1990, he was inducted into the Floriculture Hall of Fame, the industry’s highest honor. Craig has spent 45 years in genetics and breeding research, and has made countless contributions to horticultural science.
- Dr. Paul Allen Hammer, professor emeritus of floriculture at Purdue University, was elected vice president. Hammer has served on the Gloeckner Foundation board since 2001. His expertise in greenhouse production and management, experimental design and analysis and plant tissue analysis has made him a very valuable asset to the board. Since retiring from Purdue University, Hammer has remained active in the industry, providing technical support for Dümmen Orange.
- Paul Daum, former president, was elected chairman emeritus. Daum, a representative for Fred C. Gloeckner & Co., Inc. for 49 years, has served on the board since 1961. Daum is internationally known as the “Father of the South American flower industry,” and is considered by all who know him, to be “a walking encyclopedia of horticulture.”
- Joining the board and serving on the research committee is Dr. David G. Clark, professor at the University of Florida. Clark established the floriculture biotechnology and genetics laboratory in the environmental horticulture department at the university, where he has been working for the past 20 years. His innovative work in plant science and his ability to take new technologies to the consumer marketplace has earned him an international reputation.
Other officers, directors and members of the board include:
- Joseph A. Simone, president and CEO of Fred C. Gloeckner & Co., Inc. will remain secretary and chair of the finance committee
- Martin D. Kortjohn, CPA, will remain treasurer
- Margery Daughtrey, senior Extension associate, Cornell University, section of plant pathology and plant-microbe biology, Long Island Horticultural Research and Extension Center
- J. Michael Klesa, representative, Fred C. Gloeckner & Co. (retired)
- Andrew J. Lee , vice president sales & marketing, Fred C. Gloeckner & Co., Inc.
- Jay Sheely, representative, Fred C. Gloeckner & Co. (retired)