EPA, in conjunction with the Pesticide Educational Resources Collaborative (PERC), has provided a guide to help users of agricultural pesticides comply with the requirements of the 2015 revised federal Worker Protection Standard (WPS). Growers should read the manual if they employ agricultural workers or handlers, are involved in the production of agricultural plants as an owner/manager of an agricultural establishment or a commercial (for-hire) pesticide handling establishment, or work as a crop advisor.
The “How to Comply” manual includes:
• Details to help determine if the WPS requirements apply to your operation
• Information on how to comply with the WPS requirements, including exceptions, restrictions, exemptions, options, and examples
• A “Quick Reference Guide” with a list of the basic requirements (excluding exemptions, exceptions, etc.)
• New or revised definitions that may affect WPS responsibilities
• Explanations to help growers better understand the WPS requirements and how they may apply to their operation
The updated 2016 WPS “How to Comply Manual” supersedes the 2005 version. Changes to the standard have made the 2005 version obsolete.