Ter Laak Orchids, a Netherlands-based company that has been growing Phalaenopsis plants since 1980, took home the International Association of Horticultural Producers (AIPH) International Grower of the Year (IGOTY) award at IPM Essen 2018 this week.
The Ter Laak Orchids family business has been growing Phalaenopsis plants since 1980. In that time, they’ve developed into a respected partner for many customers around the world. In everything they do, they are guided by their core values: demonstrating ambition, respecting people and the environment, and doing business in a straightforward way.
The awards jury praised the company for being “a fast growing international business with a strong, clear focus on their people and sustainable production.”
Van Belle Nursery Inc. in Canada was another big winner at the show, taking home the Gold award in the Young Plants category, which made it a finalist for the top award.
Celebrating the world’s best in ornamental horticultural production, the AIPH International Grower of the Year awards, sponsored by headline partner Royal FloraHolland, took place on Tuesday, Jan. 23, at the IPM Fairground in Essen, Germany, during the week of IPM Essen.
The winners of each category were:
• Gold: JUB Holland (Jac. Uittenbogaard & Zonen BV)., The Netherlands
• Silver: AYURÁ SAS Pride/Eclipse Flowers, Colombia
• Bronze: Saidi-Ronen, Israel
• Gold: Van Belle Nursery Inc., Canada
• Silver: Yunnan YinMore Flower Industry Co., Ltd., China
Finished Plants and Trees
• Gold: Ter Laak Orchids, The Netherlands
• Silver: Van Belle Nursery Inc., Canada
• Bronze: Yunnan Weijunkai Garden Engineering Co., Ltd., China
• Winner: Ter Laak Orchids, The Netherlands
• Winner: Kwekerij van Wijgerden, The Netherlands
“I would like to offer my sincere congratulations to Ter Laak Orchids and all our winners after what has been a fabulous awards ceremony and celebration of the very best in our industry,” said Bernard Oosterom, AIPH President, during the ceremony. “The ornamental horticulture industry can be proud of the many amazing businesses that it contains, which are world leaders in innovation, sustainability, and technological development.”
Learn more about the awards at Aiph.org/groweroftheyear.