Deciding the best lighting system for your greenhouse — whether you’re growing ornamentals, vegetables, herbs, or something else — can be challenging. Here’s a close look at some of the latest lighting options on the market, and how you can determine whether they are a good fit for your operation. Images of all products are in the above slideshow.
JS LED Strip Fixture (PARsource)
The JS LED Strip Fixture was specially developed to maximize overall performance, economy, and longevity in a horticultural lighting fixture. Ideal for vertical shelf applications, the JS LED uses patented self-cooling technology, which pushes the lighting output to desired levels while minimizing unwanted heat. Up to eight fixtures can be daisy-chained to maximize space. It measures 4 feet long.
Sunburst CMh System (PARsource)
The new Sunburst CMh System combines two popular PARsource products — the Sunburst and Phantom CMh systems — into a single unit that brings the benefits of ceramic metal halide lighting to small spaces with the Sunburst’s compact, all-in-one format. The Sunburst CMh has a built-in digital ballast designed specifically to run the 315W ceramic metal halide lamp (included), which, in this system, operates in the horizontal position. The reflector’s interior is 95% hammertone aluminum and offers excellent uniformity and diffusion. It is offered in two different lamp color temperature options: 3,100K or 4,200K, and features dual input voltage 120V to 240V.
Phantom Commercial DE Lighting System (PARsource)
For growers seeking a premium double-ended lighting system, the Phantom Commercial DE Attached Lighting system from PARsource is an ideal solution. The system also features a PARsource double-ended reflector (open, enclosed, or super deep) and a high-PAR Agrosun DE high pressure sodium lamp.
smartPAR Wireless Control System (LumiGrow)
The smartPAR Wireless Control System allows growers to manage LumiGrow LEDs from any smartphone, tablet, or computer. Growers can use smartPAR to quickly set up lighting zones and enable lighting automation to manage intensity, spectrum, and photoperiod. LumiGrow smart lighting strategies can be used to improve quality, boost yields, direct growth rates, control plant morphology, promote flowering, intensify color, alter flavor, enhance nutrition, and elicit other beneficial crop characteristics. Growers can also use the smartPAR Wireless Control System to monitor power usage, fixture status, and switch to white light view-mode for crop inspection and worker comfort.
• Improve crop quality by using light as a growth variable.
• Automate lighting zones directly from your smart device, with no wiring required.
• Toggle between lighting programs to run more production trials and find what strategy works best.
• Toggle between white-light only mode and grow mode for quick crop inspection and worker comfort.
• Monitor power consumption and stay on top of energy usage to maximize return on investment.
• All data and communications are kept secure using bank-level security encryption.
smartPAR Light Sensor Module (LumiGrow)
The smartPAR Light Sensor Module works with the smartPAR Wireless Control System and LumiGrow LEDs. With the smartPAR Light Sensor Module, growers can have the sun manage their LEDs, ensuring that greenhouse crops experience ideal lighting conditions regardless of changes in weather or other light-limiting factors. Plug smartPAR Light Sensor Modules into LumiGrow fixtures, set your lighting targets from any smart device, and watch the LumiGrow LEDs automatically adjust to consistently hit daily light integral (DLI) targets, while dramatically saving on energy costs. LumiGrow smartPAR Light Sensor Modules are compatible with any LumiGrow Pro Series or Pro Series E fixtures.
• Measure ambient light in the greenhouse and adjusts fixtures throughout the day to reach daily light integral target.
• Use the smartPAR software to enter black-out periods to avoid lighting at specific times of the day to avoid peak energy periods.
• Ensure higher consistency in crop quality by establishing ideal lighting conditions year-round.
• Reduce negative effects of plant canopy shadowing due to greenhouse shaded spots or compromised light transmittance.
• Use preliminary reporting for solar and supplemental LED lighting data in smartPAR to view lighting trends and generate historical lighting reports.
smartPAR Simple Start (LumiGrow)
With smartPAR Simple Start, small to mid-sized growers gain access to all the same features as the smartPAR Wireless Control System, all controllable within a single lighting zone. Now growers of any size can deploy smart horticultural lighting strategies that increase yields, improve crop quality, and elicit desired crop characteristics, from any smartphone, tablet, or computer. Designed as a plug-and-play lighting control solution, smartPAR Simple Start is easy to install without any associated setup or implementation fees. Only one smartPAR Simple Start can be deployed per facility. LumiGrow’s smartPAR Simple Start is only compatible with smartPAR Simple Start Modules, and will not work with other smartPAR modules.
• Single-zone smartPAR Wireless Control System comes with all the same features as the full version of smartPAR, except for multi-zone control.
• Control light intensity, spectrum, and photoperiod of LumiGrow LEDs by creating lighting schedules to lighting strategies to increase yield, boost quality, direct crop growth, and elicit desired crop characteristics
• Toggle between white-light view mode and grow mode for quick crop inspection and worker comfort.
• Monitor power usage of LumiGrow LEDs.
VYPRxPLUS (Fluence Bioengineering)
With energy efficiency reaching 2.2 μmol/J and output surpassing 1,000 μmol/s, VYPR is a path to sustainability and productivity. Whether extending the day or the season, VYPR has the power, energy efficiency, and longevity to grow year-round. VYPRx is designed for low DLI crops and operations looking to extend their photoperiod.
RAZR (Fluence Bioengineering)
From seedling and cutting propagation to full-cycle microgreen and leafy green cultivation, RAZR is designed to decrease consumption and increase production. At 2.2 µmol/J, RAZR is 162% more energy efficient than standard propagation lighting systems, while providing 350% more photosynthetic photon flux. It is optimized for microgreen and leafy green cultivation as well as early-stage seedling and cutting propagation.
SPYDRx PLUS (Fluence Bioengineering)
Designed for controlled environment horticulture applications requiring efficient, precise, and uniform levels of photosynthetic photon flux density (PPFD), the SPYDRx PLUS’s patent-pending form factor makes it ideal for multi-tier vertical farming applications and single-tier applications including growth chambers, tables with adjacent aisles, and tents.
LX60 Series (Heliospectra)
The LX60 Series includes adjustable, full-spectrum intelligent light engineered for commercial crop production and controlled environment horticulture. The LX60 Series uses primary and secondary optic lens plates to achieve maximum uniform light intensity and spectral distribution across a growing area. The LX601 has a smaller target area for close-to-canopy mounting heights, specially designed for indoor growing. The LX602 targets a wider area to accommodate higher mounting installations such as greenhouses. Growers can achieve consistent year-round yields with perfect light 365 days per year to ensure optimal plant growth; achieve negotiation advantages and premium prices in the marketplace while delivering superior quality products; shave days off production and harvest cycles to maintain tight inventory control and time to market; and enhance crop appearance, improve taste, decrease waste, boost nutritional values, and extend shelf life.
• 10.5 to 600 W programmable LED plant lighting system
• Dimensions: 7.8 inches x 8.6 inches x 16.7 inches
• Input Voltage: 85 to 305 VAC, 50/60 Hz
• Amperes: 5.25A @ 120V | 2.6A @ 240V | 2.3A @ 277V
• Housing: Powder coated, zinc-treated sheet metal and durable plastic
• Cooling: Active, variable speed cooling. Fan rated to 70,000 hours at 104°F, 60% humidity
• Status Indicators: Status LED for power/system status indication
• Weight: 17.6 pounds
• Lifetime: 50,000 hours (at ambient temp of 77°F rated life to 70% of initial photon flux)
GreenPower LED Toplighting (Philips Lighting)
An energy-efficient alternative for supplemental light needs, Philips LED toplighting delivers the photons crops need for faster rooting, compact growth, and healthier looking plants. Low wattage and high light output provides a significant boost in lighting power without requiring an expensive overhaul of electrical wiring in the greenhouse. LED toplighting lasts up to three times longer than high-pressure sodium lights.
GreenPower LED Production Module (Philips Lighting)
The Philips GreenPower LED production module is ideal for multi-layer cultivation in growing environments with little or no daylight. Due to the minimal heat generated by the LED modules, the need for an expensive cooling system is eliminated, allowing for closer placement of rows and more efficient and profitable use of growing space.
GreenPower LED Interlighting Module (Philips Lighting)
The GreenPower LED interlighting system allows you to grow and harvest fresh and flavorful tomatoes or cucumbers year-round, no matter where you are or what energy prices you face. Placing lighting within the canopy of your high-wire plants directs and focuses growth-stimulating light on the most vital part of the crop. With the sidewards light distribution pattern, the leaves can optimally transform the light into growing more yield.
GreenPower LED Flowering Lamp (Philips Lighting)
This is an energy-saving replacement for incandescent lamps to extend day length and to break winter dormancy. The Flowering Lamp stimulates vegetative growth while combating budding. The lamps have a standard E26 medium bulb base — a direct replacement of lamps in your existing installation without need for modification.