Breeders, growers and universities all over the country are getting ready to host their annual open houses in late July and early August. C. Raker & Sons, D.S. Cole Growers and Michigan State University are among those hosting open houses this week.
- D.S. Cole Growers, in Loudon, N.H., will have its open house Thursday, July 31, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will be trials and displays inside and outside. Some new products will include Sumo Petunias from Suntory, Bounce Impatiens from Selecta, the latest Garvinea and Patio Gerberas, Cannova Cannas and Sunpatiens, Begonias and more.
- Pleasant View Gardens, Loudon, N.H., will host Open Garden Day, Thursday, July 31, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- C. Raker and Sons in Litchfield, Mich., will host an open house at its Raker Trial Gardens, July 31 to August 2, where there will be more than 2,100 unique varieties on display, plus live music and kids’ games.
- The 2014 Michigan Garden Plant Tour will run July 28 to August 8. The tour includes the MSU Trial Gardens, the MSU Extension Grand Ideas Garden and six stops at young plant producers’ trial gardens, including C. Raker and Sons, Four Star Greenhouse, Mast Young Plants, Pell Greenhouses, Spring Meadow Nursery and Walters Gardens. Expect to learn about a wide range of ornamental crops, including popular commercial brands of annuals, perennials and shrubs.
- Plantpeddler, in Cresco, Ia., will host its 2014 Variety Day on Friday, August 1, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.This year’s collection features nearly 1,000 vegetative varieties from a network of global breeders.
- Visit Costa Farms‘ trial gardens in Miami, Fla., at its open house, Wednesday August 13, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. See how hundreds of varieties do in the Florida heat and humidity.