The Weed Science Society of America (WSSA) recently honored nearly three dozen individuals for their outstanding contributions to the field of weed science.
The awards were presented during the organization’s annual meeting, held this year in Vancouver, Canada.
“We’re proud to honor true innovators who are making a significant mark on our profession through their research, teaching, publishing and outreach,” says Jim Kells, Ph.D., president of WSSA.
WSSA presented the fellow award — its highest recognition — to:
• James V. Anderson, Ph.D., a researcher with the USDA’s Agricultural Research Service (ARS)
• Thomas C. Mueller, Ph.D., a professor of plant sciences at the University of Tennessee
• Peter H. Sikkema, Ph.D., a professor at the University of Guelph
- Outstanding Extension Award: Russell R. Hahn, Ph.D., a member of the Department of Crop and Soil Sciences at Cornell University
- Outstanding Teacher Award: Peter Dotray, Ph.D., a professor and extension weed specialist with three organizations: Texas Tech University, Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service – Lubbock
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award: Erin Haramoto, a Ph.D. candidate at Michigan State University
- Outstanding Research Award: K. Neil Harker, Ph.D., part of the Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada team at Lacombe, AB
- Outstanding Early Career Weed Scientist: Bradley D. Hanson, Ph.D., a cooperative extension specialist at the University of California at Davis
- Outstanding Industry Award: Carol Somody, Ph.D., a pesticide stewardship and safety education manager at Syngenta
Outstanding Paper Awards
WSSA honored the following individuals for published papers:
• John Gaskin, Mark Schwardãnder, Hariet L. Hinz, Livy Williams III, Esther Gerber, Brian G. Rector and Dao Yuan Zhang for their paper in Invasive Plant Science and Management: “Genetic Identity and Diversity of Perennial Pepperweed (Lepidium latifolium) in its Native and Invaded Ranges.”
• Sam E. Wortman, Adam S. Davis, Brian J. Schutte, John L. Lindquist, John Cardina, Joel Felix, Christy L. Sprague, J. Anita Dille, Analiza H.M. Ramirez, Graig Reicks and Sharon A. Clay for their paper in Weed Science: “Local Conditions, Not Regional Gradients, Drive Demographic Variation of Giant Ragweed (Ambrosia trifida) and Common Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) Across Northern U.S. Maize Belt.”
• Rodgrigo Werle, Mark L. Bernards, Loren J. Giesler and John L. Lindquist for their paper in Weed Technology: “Influence of Two Herbicides on Soybean Cyst Nematode (Heterodera glycines) Reproduction on Henbit (Lamium amplexicaule) Roots.”
Outstanding Reviewer Awards
WSSA honored the following individuals for their review of scientific papers:
• Prashant Jha, Ph.D., an assistant professor of weed science at Montana State University’s Southern Agricultural Research Center.
• Dale Shaner, Ph.D., an industry consultant. Shaner previously worked for the USDA’s Agricultural Research Service and in private industry.
For more information, visit the WSSA website.