2012 Field Trials Reports: Cornell University
Trial Manager: Melissa Kitchen: [email protected]
Trial Location: Ithaca, New York
Weather Conditions: April started out fairly normal, but the heat wave began in May. Temperatures kept creeping up all summer, ending with higher than normal temperature for June, July and August. In addition to the heat wave, we didn’t get much rain and we had drought conditions in June and July. The weather started to return to normal in August, and the plants really began to thrive.
Average temperatures were 65.3°F, 72.3°F and 68.8°F respectively, for the months of June, July and August. Rain amounts were 1.84″, 1.59″ and 3.58″ respectively, for the months of June, July and August. See graphs below.
For full trial results, visit http://www.hort.cornell.edu/bglannuals/index.html
1. Hibiscus ‘Mahogany Splendor’ (Proven Winners)
2. Pennisetum glaucum ‘Jade Princess’ (Ball Ingenuity)
3. Plectranthus ‘Colorblaze Marooned’ (coleus) (Proven Winners)
4. Plectranthus ‘Spumoni’ (coleus) (Proven Winners)
5. Cleome ‘Senorita Rosalita’ (Proven Winners)
6. Petunia ‘Supertunia Vista Silverberry’ (Proven Winners)
7. Plectranthus ‘Colorblaze Alligator Tears’ (coleus) (Proven Winners)
8. Ipomoea ‘Illusion Emerald Lace’ (Proven Winners)
9. Petunia ‘Supertunia Raspberry Blast’ (Proven Winners)