Metrolina Greenhouses trialed 2,209 items, with 245 perennials carried over from last year for over-winter evalution. The trials included 1,474 annuals and 490 perennials, and more than 30 breeding companies participated. Everything grown in Metrolina’s ground beds was grown in 14-inch containers. Mark Yelanich, Metrolina’s Director of Research, says the company evaluated more than 50 combinations and also conducted a large verbena trial in addition to everything else.
Comments On Top Performers From Dr. Mark Yelanich
- We are in love with Uptick Coreopsis from Darwin Perennials. The four colors we had did great and had solid flowering for a long period of time.
- Garvinea Gerbera from Florist always do well in our garden and are a great item for gardeners. ‘Sweet Smile’ had tons of blooms.
- Vinca is a great item, and the new disease resistance is going to make this a great item for gardeners. ‘Cora’ from Syngenta was the first to the market and continues to do incredibly well. Valiant is the new kid on the block, and we are having stunning results with it.
- Who doesn’t love a cool colored petunia? Petunia ‘Amore Queen of Hearts’ was eye catching in California and did well in our garden.
- Dümmen Orange continues to add new coleus. Its Main Street Series has done well in our garden for a couple years, and the new colors have performed well.
Coreopsis UpTick Series
Garvinea Gerbera Series
Vinca Cora Series
Petunia ‘Amore Queen of Hearts’
Vinca (Catharanthus) Valiant Series
Coleus Main Street Series