• OHP introduced Ancora, a microbial insecticide, in May. Ancora is a naturally occurring fungus that infects both foliar and soil-dwelling pests such as whiteflies, thrips, aphids, leafminers, spider mites, grubs, and other pests.
Ancora consists of a highly virulent and effective strain of fungus (Isaria fumosorosea Apopka 97 Strain), providing fast, broad-spectrum activity on both foliar and soil insects in the greenhouse, nursery, and landscape markets.
Dr. Carlos Bográn, OHP Manager of Technical Services, says the formulation contains blastospores, which provide faster germination and kill than the resting spores of other fungal products. Ancora should be used at the first sign of pest infestations for optimal results and in a rotation with products from different classes with different modes of action.
• In March, OHP launched Applause ovicide/miticide. Applause (clofentezine) is designed to provide long-term control of eggs and immature stages of two-spotted spider mites and other mites such as Pacific, European red, and yellow spider mites. When used as part of a mite control strategy, Applause offers 30 days and beyond of prevention and control. It should be used early in the cycle as the first product of a miticide rotation program. OHP recommends Applause be applied at the first signs of spider mites or egg-laying activity, or when conditions favor quick reproduction, to prevent outbreaks in affected crops, Bográn says.
• Areca Fungicide was introduced to the production ornamentals market in January. Areca contains the active ingredient fosetyl-al, which provides long-term preventative control of pythium, phytophthora, and downy mildew on ornamentals in the greenhouse.
• In May, BioWorks launched BotryStop, a new organic biological fungicide developed for the control of pathogens such as Botrytis cinerea, Sclerotinia sclerotiorum, and Monilinia spp. It is based on the unique naturally occurring nonpathogenic saprophytic fungal strain Ulocladium oudemansii (U3 Strain), which provides protection to blossoms and plant tissue. BotryStop comes in a water-dispersible granular formulation, is compatible with many chemical inputs, and is exempt from residue tolerances. It has a four-hour REI and is an excellent tool for resistance management.
• In August 2016, BioWorks introduced a new biopesticide: BotaniGard MAXX. The new mycoinsecticide has a quick knockdown effect with natural pyrethrins paired with Beauveria bassiana Strain GHA as the active ingredients. BotaniGard MAXX is a novel formulation based on the combination of natural pyrethrins and B. bassiana. They are formulated together in an emulsifiable dispersible oil and represent the latest generation of biopesticides. The interaction between B. bassiana Strain GHA and natural botanical pyrethrins is synergistic. This combination results in multiple modes of action and pest control results comparable to those obtained when using synthetic chemical alternatives. BotaniGard MAXX is designed to be a new tool for a wide variety of insects and spider mites. It is an excellent rotation partner with BotaniGard. When insect pressure is high, growers can use BotaniGard MAXX for quick knockdown, then follow up with BotaniGard.
Syngenta has made Multipaks available all year to greenhouse and nursery growers, giving them convenient access to complementary products that help preventively control many common insects and diseases. Multipaks feature the most recent product innovations from Syngenta.
• The downy mildew/Phytophthora Multipak contains three products that make an excellent rotation program for long-lasting control of both diseases.
• The Mural fungicide + Mainspring GNL insecticide Multipak provides growers with broad-spectrum insect and disease control with application flexibility.
• Lastly, with two modes of action, the Avid miticide/insecticide + Mainspring GNL Multipak offers comprehensive, reliable insect control.
• In March, BioSafe Systems announced label updates for ZeroTol 2.0 for use in organic prevention, suppression, and control of various fungal, bacterial, and algal pathogens in greenhouses, garden centers, landscapes, and nurseries. ZeroTol 2.0 is a broad-spectrum bactericide/fungicide that is OMRI listed for organic production that works on contact and is specially formulated with BioSafe’s powerful and stable peracetic chemistry. Use ZeroTol 2.0 during propagation through finished crops to protect all greenhouse and nursery plants, including fruits, herbs, and vegetables. ZeroTol 2.0 is now approved for use on medicinal herbs and can be used at preventative and curative rates for use in controlling foliar pathogens including Botrytis, powdery mildew, Xanthomonas, and Pseudomonas. ZeroTol 2.0 is also labeled for controlling water borne pathogens in hydroponic setups, as well as treating soil-borne pathogens for commercially grown medicinal herb crops.
• BioSafe partnered with Quebec-based Anatis to release updates for BioCeres G WP biological mycoinsecticide in Canada as an effective method for both organic and conventional growers in new categories. BioCeres WP is an insect-pathogenic bio-insecticide using new North American strains of the Beauveria bassiana fungus. The OMRI listed ANT-03 strain is approved for organic production and is perfectly suited in IPM programs, in a tank mix with other pesticides, as well as specific stand-alone use. BioCeres G WP is used for the biological control of numerous pests including whiteflies, aphids, and thrips by adhering to the insect’s cuticle (outer shell), causing death. It can be used in a wide range of crops including ornamental plants and edibles.
• On June 1, BioSafe Systems announced the availability of AXXE herbicide for agricultural, greenhouse/nursery, interiorscape, municipal, turf, and landscape use across Canada. AXXE is organic compliant and a reduced-risk, non-selective herbicide that provides rapid burn down to a variety of grasses and weeds within hours of application. The non-residual chemistry breaks down within a few days, while providing four weeks of control. AXXE is a soap product featuring Ammonium Salt of Fatty Acid that penetrates the cell walls of plants, which eliminates unwanted vegetation quickly by disrupting plant tissue through cell wall penetration, resulting in cease of plant growth and brown necrosis.
Earlier this year, SePro released its Zio biofungicide. With the active ingredient Pseudomonas chlororaphis Strain AFS009, Zio is labeled for use on greenhouse, nursery, landscape, and vegetable and herb transplants to contol Rhizoctonia, Pythium, Phytophthora, and Anthracnose. It has a four-hour re-entry interval and can be applied via foliar, drench, and chemigation. Zio is designed to halt fungi respiration through enzymatic breakdown of the fungal structures, and features a strong iron-chelating agent. It tank-mixes well and has an 18-month shelflife.
Mycorrhizal Applications (MA) recently became the master distributor of a suite of new biological plant support solutions for the professional horticulture and greenhouse markets. These products complement MA’s broad range of MycoApply mycorrhizal inoculants and include an array of organic and sustainable botanical insecticides from MGK, as well as an important plant growth regulator from Valent BioSciences. MA will now offer pyrethrum-based PyGanic Specialty, EverGreen Pro 60-6, and Tersus botanical insecticides for the commercial grower. Alongside MA’s suite of MycoApply proprietary mycorrhizal inoculants, Actinovate biofungicides, and the new botanical insecticides, MA is also adding Valent BioSciences’ ProGibb T&O to its biorational offerings. ProGibb T&O is a Gibberellin PGR for ornamental applications, offering increased plant growth, stem elongation, and induction of flowering and fruiting.