While shopping for mulch in the garden section of a Walmart in Clarkston, Wash., Mica Craig, a licensed medical marijuana grower, was bitten by a rattlesnake, multiple news outlets report. The incident occurred on May 11.
“I reached down to grab the stick to move it out of the way, and the snake stretched out, turned around and got its fangs in my right hand,” Craig told Reuters. “I slung it off, and I did a tap dance on it until it was dead.”
Craig was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital and was initially released. After his hand swelled up a second time, Craig returned. The Lewiston Tribune reports that Craig was treated with six bags of anti-venom.
“They got all the poison out of me but they don’t know how bad the muscle damage will be,” Craig told the paper.
Walmart has apologized for the incident and are working to ensure the Clarkston location is now snake free.
“At this point, it appears to be an isolated incident,” Walmart Spokeswoman Kayla Whaling told Reuters. “We are working with a pest management team, which is conducting a sweep of the property to ensure there is no additional rattlesnake activity.”