A packing and shipping building at Aldershot of New Mexico caught fire last Thursday in Mesilla Park, N.M. A welder’s torch caused the fire, authorities say, sparking insulation and eventually gutting the building in a massive fire that reignited for a few minutes Friday afternoon.
Greenhouses filled with poinsettias, tulips, mums, roses and other potted plants were untouched, The Las Cruces Sun-News reported. As of the weekend, a damage estimate had yet to be determined. Owner Peter Vanderlugt, however, anticipates being able to fill most holiday contracts. He also expects to maintain his entire staff of 100 employees despite the potential cost damages.
Multiple firefighting agencies responded Thursday, including county volunteers, the city of Las Cruces and White Sands fire departments.