Greenhouse Grower’s Medal of Excellence awards program at Cultivate’18 was, among other things, a celebration of breeding companies that strive to achieve excellence in variety development.
Congratulations to the 2018 Medal of Excellence Winners that embody the best in breeding, and typify the dedication to quality that is so prevalent in our industry.
Industry’s Choice,Best New Variety: Vinca Tattoo Series (PanAmerican Seed)
The vibrant Tattoo vinca series offers four varieties of multi-colored, striped flowers that will appeal to homeowners who seek out bold, head-turning, and unique plants. Plants are floriferous and well-branched, displaying unique flowers with an overlapping, fully rounded form. Blooms display the best color contrast under warm conditions with high light.
Industry’s Choice, Best Performing Variety: Echinacea ‘Cheyenne Spirit’ (PanAmerican Seed)
Echinacea ‘Cheyenne Spirit’ delivers maximum flower power, and continues to shine in landscapes with its superior performance. With a broad and consistent palette that includes shades of red, orange, purple, scarlet, cream, yellow, and white, it has excellent heat and drought tolerance and winter hardiness.
Editor’s Choice: Summer Spice Hardy Hibiscus Collection (J. Berry Nursery)
With new, novel colors never experienced in hibiscus, the Summer Spice Hardy Hibiscus Collection will mesmerize consumers looking for new and unique items for their gardens and patios. Add to that the darker foliage, exceptionally compact growth habit, and trial-tested and proven winter-hardiness, and this will be a winner for growers and garden centers nationwide.
Readers’ Choice: Summer Spice Hardy Hibiscus Collection (J. Berry Nursery)
Greenhouse Grower’s Medal of Excellence Awards has been the floriculture industry’s premier awards and recognition program for more than 25 years. Three awards are presented for breeding, including the Editor’s Choice Award, chosen by Greenhouse Grower Editor Laura Drotleff; the Industry’s Choice Award, based on a selection of varieties chosen by an industry panel (listed below) during California Spring Trials; and the Readers’ Choice Award, in which breeding companies submit varieties for readers to vote on their favorite new introduction.
Thank you to our esteemed panel of industry experts:
• The Metrolina Team: Abe Van Wingerden, Sim McMurry, Mark Yelanich
• The Welby Gardens Team: Al Gerace, Dan Gerace, John Gerace, Mandy Gerace
• The Mast Young Plants Team: Jim Raterink, Brian Weesies
• The Raker Team: Steve Reed, Jenny Kuhn, Kelly Staats, and Susie Raker-Zimmerman
• The Armstrong Growers Team: James Russell, Heather Hydoski, Sue DiStaulo
• The Fred C. Gloeckner Team: Andrew Lee, Sandy Raupp
• Brad Julian, Lowe’s Home Improvement
• Tim Runte, Calloway Gardens
• Dr. Allan Armitage, Professor Emeritus of Horticulture, University of Georgia
• Laura Drotleff, Greenhouse Grower