Your Help is Needed to Save H-2B Returning Worker Exemption
According to updates from AmericanHort, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has announced that the 33,000 H-2B cap for the second half of fiscal 2017 was reached on March 13. AmericanHort says it is urging Congress to re-instate the H-2B returning worker exemption or pass other cap relief.
Aside from AmericanHort’s efforts, there are steps you can take as well, even if you are not directly impacted by the cap this year.
What Can You Do?
• Call your Senators and Representative and ask them to pass the H-2B returning worker exemption or other cap relief. If you do not know their direct numbers, you can reach them through the Capitol Switchboard at 202-225-3121. Once connected to the office, ask to speak to the person who handles H-2B issues and stress the immediate need for cap relief.
• Encourage your employees, co-workers, customers, and suppliers to also call their Senators and Representatives.
• Email AmericanHort a quote about the impact of the cap on your business and your American workers. AmericanHort is helping the H-2B Workforce Coalition catalogue as many stories as possible on the impact of the cap on the industry. For example, will you lose contracts, need to lay off American workers, or turn away business? Any specific estimates about financial loss are especially helpful.
• If your organization is not already listed, you can add your organization to an H-2B Workforce Coalition letter by sending an email with your company name and headquarters state to [email protected].
• Create and tweet a personal video at your elected officials using #SaveH2B.