New Varieties Guide 2009: Suntory
May 29, 2009
Twenty years ago Suntory, a global company primarily focused on food, beverage and lifestyle industries, discovered an amazing petunia it bred and introduced as Surfinia, a vigorous vegetative petunia. Surfinia swept the world like a tsunami, creating the beginning of a whole new class of petunias, commanding a premium unheard of in seed counterparts.
The next class of annuals to be revolutionized was verbena, with the vegetatively produced Tapien and Temari series, making stunning groundcovers and baskets. Then came a whole new genus with Million Bells calibrachoa. This line was a huge successs Calibrachoas are generically referred to as Million Bells. Many of these early varieties were also incorporated into the Proven Winners brand.
To commemorate the 20-year anniversary of the Suntory Collection, we are proud to present Suntory Corporation with our Industry Achievement award as part of our Medal of Excellence program.
- Helichrysum 'Silver Leaf Yellow'
- Million Bells calibrachoas - Terra Red, White and Magenta Pink
- Summer Wave torenias - Lilac and White
- SunParasol mandavilla 'Stars & Stripes'
- Temari verbenas - Magenta, Cherry Red and Violet
- Violina violas - Pink and Cobalt Blue