In the third episode of 2nd Cup, Greenhouse Grower Editor Laura Drotleff and Contributing Editor Allan Armitage discuss the six varieties recognized as nominees for Greenhouse Grower‘s 2018 Medal of Excellence Industry’s Choice Award for Best New Variety.
- Begonia Tophat Series (Syngenta Flowers)
- Begonia I’Conia Portofino Series (Dümmen Orange)
- SuperCal Premium Petchoa Series (Sakata Ornamentals)
- Salvia ‘Big Blue’ (PanAmerican Seed)
- Strawberry Double Summer Breeze Series (ABZ Seeds)
- Vinca Tattoo Series (PanAmerican Seed)
The Industry’s Choice Award for Best New Variety is based on a selection of varieties chosen by an industry panel during California Spring Trials (listed below). You can find out which variety wins the Industry’s Choice for Best New Variety at Greenhouse Grower‘s Medal of Excellence Awards on Monday, July 16 during Cultivate’18.
In addition to this award, the Medal of Excellence Awards at Cultivate’18 will also reveal the winners of the Editor’s Choice Award, Readers’ Choice Award, and Industry’s Choice for Best Performing Variety Award, based on results from the 2017 university and grower field trials, and chosen by the same industry panel below. There is a number of other awards we’ll present that evening, too. If you won’t be at Cultivate this year, tune in for upcoming 2nd Cup videos in which we reveal the Industry’s Choice for Best New Variety winner. Meanwhile, let us know in the comments below which variety you would choose!
Thank you to our esteemed panel of industry experts:
• The Metrolina Team: Abe Van Wingerden, Sim McMurry, Mark Yelanich
• The Welby Gardens Team: Al Gerace, Dan Gerace, John Gerace, Mandy Gerace
• The Mast Young Plants Team: Jim Raterink, Brian Weesies
• The Raker Team: Steve Reed, Jenny Kuhn, Kelly Staats, and Susie Raker-Zimmerman
• The Armstrong Growers Team: James Russell, Heather Hydoski, Sue DiStaulo
• The Fred C. Gloeckner Team: Andrew Lee, Sandy Raupp
• Brad Julian, Lowe’s Home Improvement
• Tim Runte, Calloway Gardens
• Dr. Allan Armitage, Professor Emeritus of Horticulture, University of Georgia
• Laura Drotleff, Greenhouse Grower
Have a Cup with Us
The new 2nd Cup video series will appear monthly or more on GreenhouseGrower.com. This casual, relatable format will be an opportunity to delve deeper into trends impacting the industry, news of the day, and more. We’ll provide some of our own perspective and analysis of current events and issues, and we’d love to hear about what you think, as well. We want to open up the industry dialogue to encourage more ideas and discussion about the industry, forces that are impacting it now and in the future, and where it’s headed. Be sure to weigh in on the topics we’re discussing, as well as those you’d like us to cover. Email [email protected] to send us your feedback and ideas.
Look for more videos coming soon, discussing Greenhouse Grower‘s Medal of Excellence Award nominees for Industry’s Choice, talking about efforts for better marketing in the industry, unpacking our baggage following California Spring Trials, and many more topics.