All-America Selections (AAS) has announced its nine new AAS Winners for the 2019 gardening season. Each of the new AAS Winners was trialed throughout North America by professional, independent, volunteer judges who grew them next to comparisons that are considered best-in-class. Only the top performing varieties earn the AAS Winner designation.
The new AAS Winners for the 2019 garden season are:
• Begonia ‘Viking XL Red on Chocolate’ (National)
• Marigold ‘Big Duck Gold’ (National)
• Nasturtium ‘Baby Rose’ (Regional: Northeast, Heartland, Mountain/Southwest)
• Petunia ‘Wave Carmine Velour’ (National)
• Pepper ‘Just Sweet’ (National)
• Tomato ‘Chef’s Choice Black’ (Regional: Southeast, Mountain/Southwest, and West/Northwest)
• Tomato ‘Fire Fly’ (National)
• Tomato ‘Red Torch’ (National)
• Tomato ‘Sparky’ (Regional: Heartland)
Previously announced AAS Winners for 2019, Watermelon ‘Cal Sweet Bush’ and Melon ‘Orange SilverWave,’ are on the AAS website.
Retailers and consumers can find these AAS Winners for sale as supply becomes available through the distribution chain. Growers can order directly through breeders.
Each AAS Winner is marketed through an extensive social media and public relations campaign, as well as traditional media and industry trade shows. AAS Winners are grown in AAS Display Gardens across North America.
Check out the slideshow above for a closer look at each variety (click on the link in each description for an expanded profile from AAS).