12 Horticulture Students Receive Southern Nursery Association Scholarships
The Southern Nursery Association’s Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Fund recently announced the names of 12 students from seven southeastern universities chosen to receive academic scholarships this year. Five of the awards are named scholarships honoring past industry leaders. The $1,500 awards, totaling $18,000, have been presented to the following excelling scholars:
• Ruqayah Hamida Bhuiyan, University of Georgia, Arthur A. “Buck” Jones Scholarship
• Crystal Jones Conner, University of Florida
• Morgan Rose Gramlich, University of Arkansas, Dr. James & Faye Foret Scholarship
• Paige Leigh Herring, North Carolina State University
• Kaylee Elizabeth Ites, Texas A&M University, Lee C. Howell Scholarship
• Mary Elizabeth Lewis, University of Georgia, Robert L. VanLandingham Scholarship
• Isaac Barak Luhrs, University of Tennessee
• Ariana Rhiannon Newton, West Virginia University
• Angelia Dynette Ryker, University of Tennessee
• Carlee Steppe, University of Florida
• Tia Tyler, University of Florida
• MaKayla B. White, North Carolina State University, Art & Mille Lancaster Scholarship
Scholarship recipients are determined through a competitive application process, administered by a selection committee, based on academics, determination, demonstrated interest in the horticulture industry, and financial need. This year’s recipients were chosen from a competitive group of applications. Of the 12 students, six are graduate students and six are undergraduate.
“Congratulations to this exemplary group of students who have excelled academically and demonstrated determination and a passion for horticulture,” says Danny Summers, Executive Vice President of the fund. “We continue to hear from recipients how important these awards are in reducing their financial stress, allowing them the ability to concentrate more on their studies. I am confident each of these students will make an effective and positive contribution to our industry. I look forward to seeing their accomplishments as they complete their studies.”
With this year’s awards, the fund has awarded a total of $522,000 since it was established in 1989. The fund’s current assets are now more than $890,000. Seven named funds have been pledged: The Larry D. Edwards Fund, the Dr. James & Faye Foret Fund, the Richard J. “Dick” Hackney Sr. Fund, the Lee C. Howell Fund, the Arthur A. “Buck” Jones Fund, the Art & Millie Lancaster Fund, and the Robert L. VanLandingham Fund. The financial support offered by the fund has allowed many students the opportunity to begin or continue to work toward their educational goals.
More details on scholarship recipients can be found at sbmsef.org.