American Floral Endowment Accepting Research Pre-Proposals
If you are pursuing a floriculture research project, now is the time to apply for funding through the American Floral Endowment. Research pre-proposal applications for 2015-2016 funding are due to AFE by June 1, 2015.
Research priorities are focused on floriculture crops, such as fresh cut flowers, fresh cut greens, flowering potted plants, foliage plants and bedding plants:
- Breeding, which can include breeding to enhance postharvest quality, plant and flower quality or to reduce insect and diseases
- New technology to increase floriculture quality
- Pest and disease, focusing on Aphids, Botrytis, Downy/Powdery Mildews, Leaf Miners, Thrips, Whiteflies and others
- Postharvest, which can include shelf life, transportation, home or garden performance
Research projects can last from one to three years, and any reasonable but justifiable budget will be considered. For the current 2015-2016 cycle, AFE is funding more than $280,000 in research.
Scientific Research Project Examples:
- Management protocols for floriculture crops
- Management systems for diseases of floriculture crops
- Management systems for insects affecting floriculturel crops
- Postharvest management systems for floriculture and plant breeding
- Genetic engineering of floriculture crops