Greenhouse Grower Honors 2019 Medal of Excellence Breeding Award Winners at Cultivate’19
Greenhouse Grower’s Medal of Excellence awards program at Cultivate’19 was, among other things, a celebration of breeding companies that strive to achieve excellence in variety development.
Congratulations to the 2019 Medal of Excellence Winners that embody the best in breeding, and typify the dedication to quality that is so prevalent in our industry.
Industry’s Choice, Best New Variety: Beacon Impatiens (PanAmerican Seed)
Beacon Impatiens are among the first Impatiens walleriana on the market to show high resistance to impatiens downy mildew. And with six colors and two mixes available in the series, gardeners will have lots of color options to liven up their shady garden spots.
Industry’s Choice, Best Performing Variety: Gomphrena ‘Truffula Pink’ (Proven Winners)
Gomphrena ‘Truffula Pink’ stands out in the landscape and combination baskets due to its fun, tufted flowers, bright color, and size.
Editor’s Choice: Dahlia ‘Sincerity’ (Syngenta Flowers)
‘Sincerity’ is a new vegetative dahlia with big, bold, white and pink bicolor blooms. Compact, well-branched plants have a mounded habit and bloom continuously from spring to summer.
Readers’ Choice: Beacon Impatiens (PanAmerican Seed)
Greenhouse Grower’s Medal of Excellence Awards have been the floriculture industry’s premier awards and recognition program for more than 25 years. Thank you to our esteemed panel of industry experts:
• The Metrolina Team: Abe Van Wingerden, Sim McMurry, Mark Yelanich
• The Welby Gardens Team: Al Gerace, Dan Gerace, John Gerace, Mandy Gerace
• The Mast Young Plants Team: Jim Raterink, Brian Weesies
• The Raker-Roberta’s Team: Steve Reed, Jenny Kuhn, Kelly Staats, and Susie Raker-Zimmerman
• Dr. Allan Armitage, Professor Emeritus of Horticulture, University of Georgia
• Janeen Wright, Greenhouse Grower