Millennials Rank Gardening Among Top 5 Leisure Activities
It’s official — gardening is cool among the under 35 set, at least in the United Kingdom (UK).
The UK-based newspaper, The Independent, reported in a September 8 article that consumers aged 25 to 35 have rated gardening as a top five favorite leisure activity. According to a report by the British outdoor furniture company Alfresia, gardening came in fifth in a list of leisure activities for the age group, ranking higher than going to the movies and visiting family, but lower than eating out and “boozing,” which were first and second, respectively.
- Those in relationships said their average spend on their garden in summer 2014 was about 518 euros ($656.67), almost twice that of 2013 at 273 euros ($346.08).
- Couples in the age group said they spent about 12 to 15 hours a month gardening.
The article also stated:
- Millennials see growing vegetables and sustaining oneself as a cool, inexpensive way to be creative.
- Careers are stressful, so Millennials are turning to the outdoors to be close to nature and get away from technology.
- Allotments in the UK are expensive and in short supply, with long waiting lists. As a result, community gardening projects have seen a rise in volunteers.
- Celebrities including Zooey Deschanel and Mindy Kaling are becoming “gardenistas,” and are influencers on this trend, using Instagram and other media to show off their gardens.
Source: The Independent