What To See At The IPPS – Western Region Annual Meeting
The International Plant Propagators’ Society (IPPS) -Western Region recently announced the program for its 2016 Annual Meeting, which takes place Oct. 19-22 in Tempe, AZ.
“The unique desert climate provides a different view on horticulture,” says Emilie Speciale, conference organizer. “Conference attendees will have the special opportunity to experience the many desert climates and learn from desert-dwelling educators.”
Here are just a few of the highlights you can expect at the event, which is hosted at the Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center:
• The event begins on October 19 with a pre-conference tour of the Arboretum of Flagstaff, followed by a welcome reception.
• October 20 offers educational sessions in the morning, with an afternoon tour of local producers Zvida Growers, Arid Zone Trees, and Greenfield Citrus.
• On October 21, attendees can gather more knowledge through research presentations, then tour Desert Tree Farm, Arizona Wholesale Growers, and Desert Botanical Garden.
• The official event concludes with a reception and banquet featuring live music and a silent auction. The featured speaker is well-known desert plants author and Starr Nursery proprietor Greg Starr.
• On October 22 a post-conference tour provides the opportunity to experience the Sonoran Desert Museum.
• This year’s slate of speakers features both growers and scientists, including Mike Evans of Tree of Life Nursery, Diego Martinez of Van Belle Nursery Inc., Abe Casillas of the Arizona Cannabis Society, and Dr. Ursula Schuch of the University of Arizona. Presentation topics include disease management, parboiled rice hulls for weed control, commercial cannabis propagation, production and micropropagation of natives, and more.
• Additional highlights for the meeting include the popular poster sessions, trade show, New Plant Forum, and Nuggets of Knowledge session.